Thursday, June 24, 2010

Thursday 24 June - Arusha National Park

When Brock said he'd arranged for us to visit the Park and stay in a lodge for the night I have to confess I wondered if it was really necessary. After all we are from South Africa and we often get to see animals in their natural habitat. Well now I can honestly say it's been worth every kilometer and every dollar we spent to get here.

The Park is amazing. More breathtaking than the animals is the scenery and vegetation. Within the Park there are two craters.




On our way in to the Momela Lodge we visited one of them and drove up to a view site. We were amazed at the site of the huge crater below us and although there weren't many animals grazing down there at the time the number and variety of butterflies was worth it. I have never seen so many varied specimens in one place. I really wish my sister-in-law, Jill could have been with us.

Later in the afternoon we took a trip to see some flamingos on a lake within the Park. There were thousands and thousands of them. I so wish I could post a photo right now but unfortunately I only have 25MB of bandwidth available on my phone and once I start I won't know when to stop. We also saw lots of bush buck, water buck, giraffe, hippo, warthog and zebra on the drive. 


We have just watched Slovenia beat Italy. Wow!!! We have missed so many of the games whilst on the road but that one was worth seeing. And so to dinner.... Bon appetit folks.

No comments: